Dr Anastácio Gonçalves Museum House
- Original Authors:
- Norte Júnior
Designed by Norte Júnior in 1904/05, this house was commissioned by the painter José Malhoa to serve as his residence and studio. The first artist’s house in Lisbon, and winner of the Valmor Prize in 1905, it reflects in urban development terms the plans for expansion of the city and is an important example of late 19th-century Portuguese architecture. In 1932 the “Malhoa House” was purchased by Dr Anastácio Gonçalves who lived and organised his collection there until his death in 1965. It was inaugurated as a Museum House in 1980 and underwent extension and renovation works in 1996, which included the annexation of a new house to the original building.
Photography not allowed