Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Fernando Guerra
© Fernando Guerra
© Sergiy Scheblykin

Castle of São Jorge

  • Original Authors:
  • Várias autorias
  • (Sítio Arqueológico séc. VII-III a.C.; Bairro Islâmico séc. XI-XII; Castelo séc. XIII; Paço da Alcáçova séc. XIII-XVI)

  • Interventions:
  • Várias autorias
  • (1939)
  • Carrilho da Graça Arquitectos
  • (década de 1990 e 2010)

Located on the highest hill in the historic centre of Lisbon, The Castle of São Jorge is a strategic point over the city, the Tagus estuary and the Setúbal peninsula. After being seized from the Arabs in 1147 by King Afonso Henriques, the castle was transformed into a royal palace. Successive attacks, a subsequent abandonment by the royal family and several earthquakes, including that of 1755, contributed to its progressive degradation. Today, the castle keeps eleven towers in its square plan, among which stand out the Keep, the Tower of Haver or Tombo, the Palace Tower, the Water Tower and the São Lourenço Tower, located halfway down the slope. On a second square there are still traces of old buildings and a cistern. The northern wall of this atrium holds the Porta da Traição, which allowed the entry or exit of secret messengers. The castle was classified as a National Monument in 1910 and underwent major restoration interventions in the 1940s and 1990s, namely on the walls most severely damaged by the 1755 earthquake.

Rua de Santa Cruz do Castelo
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 737, 12E, 28E
Subway: Rossio, Baixa-Chiado

Civic Facilities

Photography allowed

Loading Animation