- Original Authors:
- Luís Cristino da Silva
- Alberto Souza Oliveira
One of theatres that make up the Parque Mayer entertainment complex, this facility occupies a spot in the gardens adjacent to the former Palácio Mayer. Located on one side of the Avenida da Liberdade, the Parque Mayer is strategically placed on a cultural axis that favoured the performing arts and where Lisbon’s biggest theatres, cinemas and performance halls flourished over recent centuries. The Capitólio was officially opened on 10 July 1931, a work of transition between the late Art Déco style and rationalist purism. The theatre had seating for 1391 persons, making it the largest in all of Lisbon. In 1935 the addition of the balcony increased the capacity of the stalls to 1,400 seats. In the 1980s the building fell into decline, although it was still used for the screening of erotic and pornographic films. It was listed as a Property of Public Interest in 1983, and Lisbon City Council later commissioned its refurbishment, which was completed in November 2016. The restoration project took great care to recreate the building in its original style.
Travessa do Salitre, 35
Bus: 709, 711, 732, 736, 746, 783