Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Ana-Maria Vijdea
© Ana Maria Vijdea
© Ana Maria Vijdea

Ermida de São Crispim

  • Original Authors:
  • Várias autorias
  • (1790)

Not available in this edition

This old church from the post-Pombaline period shows an almost minimalist facade, discreet in the street plan. It was built in 1790, close to the original church of the same name – Santos Crispim and Crispiniano, who were twin brothers of Roman origin martyred at the time of Emperor Diocletian in Soissons, France, and patron saints of shoemakers. In 1147, Santos Crispim and Crispiniano were proclaimed the first patron saints of the Portuguese capital by King Afonso Henriques, because he conquered Lisbon on these martyrs’ feast day (25 October). In 2001, after a lengthy period of abandonment, this small church was given over to the Romanian community, who set up their Orthodox Church there, called Paróquia da Entrada de Nossa Senhora no Templo. Its visitors have the chance to learn about this community’s liturgy and the space reconfiguration.

Rua de São Mamede, 18B
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 28E, 12E, 737
Subway: Baixa-Chiado, Rossio. Terreiro do Paço

Civic Facilities

Photography allowed

Loading Animation