Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Laura Castro Caldas e Paulo C

Francisco de Arruda School

  • Original Authors:
  • António José Pedroso
  • (1953)

  • Interventions:
  • José Neves
  • (2011)

Not available in this edition

This school, which was built in the 1950s, is located exactly on the boundary between the stabilised urban area and the former hunting reserve of Tapada da Ajuda, a situation that gives it the description of the current entrance. Originally planned for the commercial and industrial education of male pupils, the school underwent comprehensive remodelling work in 2009-2010 under the Parque Escolar school renovation programme.
“If you don’t have a village, son, then go in search of one”. This quote from João dos Santos was the inspiration for the remodelling and extension of this primary school. The original buildings, which were built around a courtyard, looked as if they were built in different periods, creating their own city. The new project calmly took up his idea – so that there is a sense of the various periods of construction but the diverse elements are in harmony with each other and respond with the same logic to the different stages and needs of the building. This school building won the Valmor Prize in 2011 and the Secil Prize in 2012.

Address
Calçada da Tapada, 152
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 738, 742, 760

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation