Faculty of Medical Sciences – Headquarters of Nova Medical School
- Original Authors:
Not available in this edition
This building with a classical façade, designed by José Maria Nepomuceno and bearing the changes made by Leonel Gaia, is occupied by the Faculty of Medical Sciences in 1911 — which, since it was founded, in 1836, had been operating at the São José Hospital. Contributing to enrich the patrimonial ensemble of Campo dos Mártires da Pátria (classified as Ensemble of Public Interest in 1996), this building stands on the same place where, throughout the 19th century, the old bullring of Campo de Santana had existed. The façade combines the balance in proportions with a delightful ensemble of remarkable dignity and restrained ornamentation. The interior spaces are dignified by means of decoration that brings together paintings, sculptures and tile panels. With evocative, commemorative and pedagogical intentions, the Sala dos Passos Perdidos deserves special attention, with the tile panels by Jorge Colaço, and the Sala dos Actos, with friezes by Veloso Salgado. In 1954, the building is left vacant — as a result of the concentration of all teaching activity at the Santa Maria Hospital —, reopening as Faculty of Medical Science of Universidade de Lisboa, in 1977, after being rehabilitated.
Campo Mártires da Pátria, 130
Photography not allowed