Gare Marítima da Rocha do Conde de Óbidos
- Original Authors:
- Porfírio Pardal Monteiro
This cruise terminal building is dominated by a large square-plan hall with a meticulous lighting design, which combines zenithal and lateral lights. It is a good example of how architects and engineers can and should work together. It also features two triptychs by Almada Negreiros, depicting aspects of everyday life in the vicinity of the dock – from an evocation of charlatans to Sunday walks along the river and the construction of the terminal buildings and to farewell scenes depicting the sadness of those leaving Lisbon and the anxiety of those left behind. Like in the Gare Marítima de Alcântara the main room is on the first floor, as it was there that luggage was unloaded from the ships and customs were located. The first steam liner to moor at the dock was the “North King”, belonging to a Portuguese-Panamanian company, on June 19th 1948.
Photography not allowed