Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Paróquia de São Nicolau
© Paróquia de São Nicolau
© Paróquia de São Nicolau

Igreja da Oliveirinha

  • Original Authors:
  • Eugénio dos Santos
  • (Séc. XVIII)

  • Interventions:
  • Várias autorias
  • (1993)

Not available in this edition

This baroque church is close to the former location of its predecessor, built in the 13th century and later destroyed by the 1755 earthquake. It is an extraordinary adaptation of a Pombaline building for religious purposes. Its function and interior spatiality are almost invisible from the street, with only a triangular pediment with a bronze olive branch visible from the exterior. The author was probably Eugénio dos Santos, one of the architects responsible for the Pombaline general plan of downtown Lisbon. Inside the church, the figurative tiles recreating and illustrating scenes from the life of the Virgin and the images of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira and Santa Rita de Cássia stand out. The restoration, which started in 1993 under the Recria programme, included ceilings, woodwork, tiles, statues, and the exterior repairs which included the addition of the ornamental olive branch.

Address
Rua de São Julião, 140
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 15E, 25E, 732, 736, 774
Subway: Terreiro do Paço, Baixa-Chiado

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation