Ajuda Botanical Garden – Instituto Superior de Agronomia
- Original Authors:
- Domingos Vandelli
- Cristina Castel-Branco
The Ajuda Botanical Garden is placed on the southern slopes of Monsanto, built upon layers of limestone from the Cretaceous period and basalts from Lisbon’s volcanic complex. This geological setting is propitious to the abundance of springs and water mines for irrigation. The garden was created in 1768, and the botanical species were selected by Domingos Vandelli, a naturalist from Padua and a disciple of Linnaeus. Manuel Caetano de Sousa designed the system of terraces, staircases and ponds, and Vandelli became the garden’s first director. In 1838 this property was integrated into the Polytechnic School and in 1910 its administration was transferred to the Instituto Superior de Agronomia. In 1941, the garden was heavily damaged by a cyclone and the upper terrace was subjected to an intervention by Francisco Caldeira Cabral. The garden was restored in 1997 with the support of European funds and under the supervision of the landscape architect Cristina Castel-Branco. The botanical collection was upgraded, the irrigation system was automated and the aromatic garden was created. In addition to its recreational purpose, the garden kept its scientific and pedagogical functions, focused on the preservation of species and environmental awareness.
Calçada da Ajuda
Bus: 18E, 76B, 79B, 727, 729, 732, 760