MUHNAC – Riding Stable of the Real Colégio dos Nobres
- Original Authors:
- Carlos Mardel
Located in a neoclassical building, the Riding Stable is the only space that remains from the foundations of the Colégio dos Nobres (Noblemen College), operating since the 18th century. This wide space of rectangular plan stands out for its wooden roofing structure, composed of seven double profile main trusses that determine a gambrel roof. The Royal Riding Stable of the Colégio dos Nobres was originally used to provide riding and fencing lessons to its students. After 1837, when the institution becomes Escola Politécnica de Lisboa, the space is no longer needed for its original function, thus going through rehabilitation work. The old stables become car garages and, after 1958, the riding stable was used for several cultural and recreational functions (adopting new floors and including locker rooms and stands). Currently, it has been used as a space that complements the museum’s activity, namely for temporary displays and cultural events. In 1978, it was classified as a Building of Public Interest.
Photography not allowed