Puppet Museum – Bernardas Convent
- Original Authors:
- Vários autores
- (Séc. XVII)
- João de Almeida
The Puppet Museum is located on the southern flank of the Madragoa, in the former Bernardas Convent. The convent was rebuilt by the architect Giacomo Azzolini after the 1755 earthquake. The building was bought in 1850 by Joaquim Carreira de Melo and had various functions: a school, a movie theatre, the headquarters of a philharmonic orchestra, a carpentry, and housing. It was acquired by the Municipality of Lisbon in 1998, which used its spaces to rehouse thirty-five families and create a restaurant space. The museum’s collection started with artefacts from the São Lourenço Puppet Company and was enriched with various contributions from Asia, Africa and Latin America. The centre of the cloister still displays the mouth of a cistern, which supplied the water for the religious cloistered community.
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities
Photography not allowed