Museum of Lisbon – Pimenta Palace
- Original Authors:
- Vários autores
- (Séc. XVIII)
- Câmara Municipal de Lisboa
This well-preserved 18th-century summer palace is surrounded by the remains of an old farm. Remarkable for the harmony of its facade and the beauty of its tile decoration, only after the Lisbon earthquake did it become a permanent home for families who rented it. In 1833, Manuel Joaquim Pimenta bought it with other surrounding properties, creating an enormous farm called Quinta da Pimenta. The palace, along with part of the garden and woods, was acquired by the City Council in 1962. There, the headquarters of the Lisbon Museum was housed. After undergoing a rebuilding, with a project designed by famous architect Raul Lino, it opened its doors to the public in 1979, hosting important collections which document the evolution of the city from the territory’s prehistoric occupation to the beginning of the 20th century. In the garden, you may come across albino peacocks and Bordalo Pinheiro porcelain animals, completely disconnected from the noise and bustle of the surrounding roads.
Campo Grande, 245
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities