Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Luisa Ferreira
© Luisa Ferreira
© Câmara Municipal de Almada

Naval Museum - Olho-de-Boi

  • Interventions:
  • Câmara Municipal de Almada
  • (1991 e 2012 reab.)

Not available in this edition

The Naval Museum, installed by the Tagus River, opened its doors in 1991 occupying part of the premises of the extinct Portuguese Fishing Company and integrating a significant fraction of its estate. Between 1920 and 1984, the company managed one of the biggest national high-sea trawl fishing trades, and its industrial complex could ensure the ships’ maintenance, manufacturing of navigational equipment, supply of ice and other necessary goods for the fleet to operate, including a low-income neighbourhood and support services. In 2012, the museum grew in size due to the rehabilitation of the old foundry moulds warehouse. The Naval Museum works in the history and memories of shipbuilding and ship repair, in its technical and socioeconomic dimensions, and work contexts, considering the transformations of the regional territory and the river mouth. The programme combines long-term and temporary exhibitions, covering the entire 20th century.

Address
Olho-de-Boi
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 160
Subway: Cacilhas (barco)

Typology
Civic Facilities

Accessibility
Total

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation