Alverca Palace - Casa do Alentejo
- Original Authors:
- António da Silva Júnior
This palace, built at the end of the 17th century, has had many lives. In 1919, it became the Majestic Club casino and later gave way to the Monumental Club. In 1932, it was the turn of Grémio Alentejano, which would only buy the palace in 1981. The Grémio occupied a central place in the culture and associative life of the Alentejo region migrant community. Mainly due to its transformation into a casino, with a revivalist atmosphere and the participation of artists, the building underwent profound changes. Its plan is quadrangular, with three patios, and crosses two sections of the old city walls (Muralha Fernandina). Along with Baroque, neo-Gothic, neo-Arab, neo-Renaissance, neo-Rococo, and Art Nouveau pieces and elements, the highlights are the Arab Patio, the Hall of Mirrors, the Neo-Renaissance Hall, the library, and the tile panels in the restaurant. This great exoticism on the inside contrasts with the discreet façade.
Palaces and Convents, Commerce and Services
Photography not allowed