Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© António Homem Cardoso
© Marisa Cardoso
© Marisa Cardoso

Palácio da Bemposta – Military Academy

  • Original Authors:
  • João Antunes ,
  • Manuel Caetano de Sousa
  • (Séc. XVIII)

Not available in this edition

Known as Paço da Rainha (the Queen’s Palace), the building was the residence of D. Catarina de Bragança, widow of King Charles II of England, when she returned to Portugal. The building underwent crucial works after the earthquake of 1755, and later, in the 18th century, it was adapted to house an Army School, a function it still maintains today. The chapel and the large rooms – library, Great Hall, and Academic Council Room – stand out. On that same street, you will find the “5 PM” tile panel, designed by Can Ran studio, based on a 17th-century pattern. The name alludes to tea time and the English habits treasured by the Queen.

Typology
Palaces and Convents

Accessibility
Partial

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation