Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Pedro Sadio
© José Manuel Vasconcellos
© José Manuel Vasconcellos

Palace of Loreto

  • Original Authors:
  • Vários autores
  • (1791)

  • Interventions:
  • Porfírio Pardal Monteiro
  • (1944)

Located in the Lisbon city centre, this building is so well integrated with the surrounding streets that it is probably looked upon by many as a block rather than a building. At the back, there is a hanging garden. Dating back to the 19th century, it has had various purposes throughout history: first it was the residence of General Junot, then the house of the Ferreira Pinto Basto family, founders of the Vista Alegre porcelain factory, later a private school, and even a hotel – it is thought to have been the hotel of João da Ega from Eça de Queiroz’s novel Os Maias – and finally an insurance company, a function it has had for over a century. In recent years, the ground floor of the building has been transformed into a renowned contemporary art gallery that grants the population free access to national and international artistic projects.

Largo do Chiado, 8
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 24E, 28E, 758
Subway: Baixa-Chiado

Palaces and Convents, Commerce and Services


Photography not allowed

Loading Animation