Menino de Ouro Palace – British Council
- Original Authors:
- Vários autores
The palace belonged to Brazilian capitalist Luís José Seixas Fernandes, known as Menino de Ouro (Golden Boy), and was sold around 1925 to Artur Virgílio Alves dos Reis, who did some changes on the interior. In 1942, it is acquired by the British Council who has since then occupied this exceptional palace located at Príncipe Real. Luís Fernandes’ music room is now the conference room, whose beautiful decorative tiles were made in France, in the early 20th century, by the Sarreguemines factory. The tiles on the exterior walls are authored by José António Jorge Pinto, one of the main Portuguese Art Nouveau artists. In 2001, some of this structure’s original elements underwent restoration work. The palace currently has on display 40 works of art, belonging to the British Council’s collection, representative of the country’s last 60 years.
Palaces and Convents
Photography not allowed