Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© FG+SG
© FG+SG
© FG+SG

Sinel de Cordes Palace – Lisbon Architecture Triennale

  • Original Authors:
  • Vários autores
  • (Séc. XVIII)

  • Interventions:
  • FSSMGN Arquitetos
  • (processo de reabilitação desde 2012)

With a privileged location overlooking Campo de Santa Clara, this 18th century palace was built by the Sinel de Cordes family, of Flemish noble ancestry, which moved in right after the 1755 earthquake. By mid-19th century, the building was acquired by Dr José Correia Godinho da Costa, which introduced a few new elements to the architectonic ensemble, among which were the statuettes that crown the main façade. At the beginning of the 20th century, it operated as Legation of Italy, until a ravishing fire destroyed a big portion of its interior. Having been rebuilt, from the 1930s onwards the palace became a primary school, an occupation that lasted until 2006. Its doors were only opened again in 2012, when the Lisbon Architecture Triennale arrived. The space became the headquarters for this cultural association, which ramped up to the launch of a rehabilitation project for the building, aiming to establish a Cultural Hub. The rehabilitation of this hybrid place, in which different architectonic styles intertwine, is ongoing and seeks to restore the palace’s value in terms of heritage, safeguarding the many memories it represents for the local community.

Address
Campo de Santa Clara, 145
Get Directions

Typology
Palaces and Convents

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation