Quartel da Graça – Convento da Graça
- Original Authors:
- Várias autorias
- (séc. XIII, séc. XVIII e séc. XIX)
At the top of one of Lisbon’s seven hills, enjoying privileged views over the city and the Tagus River, stands the former Convento da Graça, originally intended for the hermits of Saint Augustin. Its foundation dates back to 1271, having undergone profound changes over the centuries. The most notable has a late-baroque nature, designed by Caetano Tomás de Sousa and his son Manuel Caetano de Sousa. After the 1755 earthquake, it was subject to several renovation works. In the 19th century, with the extinction of the religious orders, the convent was transformed into an army barracks, having worked as such until recently. At the moment, under the REVIVE programme, it is awaiting licensing for renovation and reconversion for tourism, and a concession was already granted in 2019.
Largo da Graça, 94
Bus: 28E, 12E, 712, 726, 732, 734, 735, 760, 797
Photography not allowed