The Patriarchal’s Reservoir – Museu da Água
- Original Authors:
- Louis-Charles Mary
- Mário Varandas Monteiro
Hidden in the underground of Jardim do Príncipe Real, this reservoir was designed in 1856 by the French engineer Louis-Charles Mary. Its majestic stone chamber was built between 1860 and 1864 and it became the most important one in the water distribution network of the downtown area. Octagonal in shape, it is made up of 31 pillars measuring 9.25 metres that support the stonework arches. These, in turn, support the vaults, creating an atmosphere of grandeur. Supplied by the Águas Livres Aqueduct, it was deactivated in 1949. It currently gives underground access to the Loreto Gallery, with a length of 410 metres, connecting it to Jardim de São Pedro de Alcântara. The visit reveals the secrets of its name, its shape and the stones that compose it.