Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© J Vicente
© CIL
© J Vicente

Shaare Tikvah Synagogue

  • Original Authors:
  • Miguel Ventura Terra
  • (1904)

  • Interventions:
  • Carlos C.Ramos
  • (1949)
  • DRM Lisboa ,
  • Ricardo Bak Gordon
  • (2005)

The Shaare Tikva Synagogue (“Gates of Hope” in Hebrew) sits inside the block formed by Rua Alexandre Herculano and Rua do Salitre. From the street, you only see a grey gate. This discreet position is justified by the historical oppression suffered by the Jewish community since the 16th century, which only ended with the proclamation of the republic. Until then, only Catholic temples were allowed to have a visible presence in the streets. Designed originally by Miguel Ventura Terra in 1897, the building was restored twice: first by Carlos Ramos in 1949, and later by DRM Lisboa and Ricardo Bak Gordon in 2005. The rectangular plan, distinctive of these buildings, combines elements from different origins and eras in a wide-range approach. One of the particularities of this synagogue is the upper gallery, added during the first refurbishment, for the exclusive use of the women in the community.

Address
Rua Alexandre Herculano, 59
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 706, 709, 773, 774
Subway: Rato

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation