Solar dos Zagallos
- Original Authors:
- (Séc. XVII)
Not available in this edition
This agricultural property dates back to the 17th century and has served various purposes, including military barracks during the liberal wars. In 1921, the property changed owners, and the Piano family transformed it into a residential and leisure place, typical of a “recreational farm”. The manor house underwent various interventions in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. A vast collection of tile panels stands out in the corridors, in the three chapels, and on the patio, showing three centuries of Portuguese tile history. At the end of the garden, you find the water house, an octagonal structure used for collecting water from a mine. In the same area, there is also the chapel of Santo António do Caiado, whose ceiling is covered by embrechados – a decorative coating technique made of shells, pottery fragments, rocks, and glass. Currently owned by the Almada City Council, the space is open to the public for cultural activities.
Largo António Piano Júnior, Sobreda, Almada
Bus: 120, 133, 197 (desde Cacilhas) e 159, 151 (desde Lisboa)
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities