Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Marisa Cardoso
© Marisa Cardoso

Taborda Theatre

  • Original Authors:
  • Domingos Parente da Silva
  • (1870)

  • Interventions:
  • Bartolomeu da Costa Cabral ,
  • Nuno Teotónio Pereira
  • (1995)

Not available in this edition

This building is implanted on the north slope of the Castle of São Jorge, overlooking the Mouraria valley. The property belonged to the Jesuits, and the new construction integrated a small 16th century chapel. The theatre’s construction was financed by the Taborda Society and followed a project by the architect Domingo Parente da Silva. The theatre was supplemented with some stage sceneries created by Rambois and Cinatti, which were recovered from the Thalia Theatre after it was destroyed by a fire. After an intermittent activity, the Teatro Taborda was acquired in 1966 by the Lisbon City Council to become a municipal theatre. Nevertheless, this option was abandoned if favour of the Teatro de São Luiz. The building underwent another period of sporadic occupation until its restoration. The actual Teatro Taborda followed the design by the architects Nuno Teotónio Pereira and Bartolomeu Costa Cabral and was inaugurated in June 1995. The project preserved the initial structure, but expanded the theatre space and opened the building to the exterior, as seen in the restaurant that overlooks Lisbon and the Tagus.

Address
Costa do Castelo, 75
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 12E, 28E
Subway: Martim Moniz

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation