Time Out Market
- Original Authors:
- Frederico Ressano Garcia
- João Piloto
- Aires Mateus
Originally known as the Ribeira Nova Market, this building was opened in 1882, having been built to a design by the engineer Francisco Ressano Garcia, who also laid out Avenida da Liberdade and Avenida 24 de Julho, as well as the Campo de Ourique and Estefânia neighbourhoods. When the Ribeira Velha Market building facing the Casa dos Bicos was destroyed in the earthquake of 1755, King José commissioned a new market hall close to the waterfront in São Paulo in 1751.
From 1876 onwards, the year the design was produced, the market suffered a major fire (1893) and also underwent several extensions – before it was demolished in 1926. The rebuilt version of 1930 introduced a large dome and reinstated its original retail and wholesale activities. In the year 2000 the market began to abandon its typical market operations, and in 2001 the upper level was opened up to cultural activities. In 2014 Time Out took over management of the space, retaining part of the market trade and adding 26 restaurants, 8 bars, a dozen or so retail spaces, a cooking school (Time Out Academy), a bar/disco (Rive Rouge), a co-work space (Second Home) designed by Selgas Cano and a theatre (Time Out Studio).
Avenida 24 de Julho, Mercado da Ribeira
Bus: 15E, 18E, 201, 706, 728, 732, 760
Subway: Cais do Sodré
Commerce and Services