Expert/Guide: Patrícia Bento D'Almeida
The area known today as Restelo is illustrative of the first major wave of Council-led urbanisation in the area behind the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos [Hieronymite Monastery]. The Development Plan for the Ajuda Slope, which was implemented from 1938 onwards by the first Portuguese urban planner, João Guilherme Faria da Costa, saw the replacement of aristocratic and agricultural structures in isolated locations in this western part of the city by a luxury residential quarter facing the Tagus in an amphitheatre-inspired layout. During the 1940s this new urban fabric inspired by the Beaux Arts aesthetic became home to a large collection of showy “Portuguese houses”. In addition to these buildings – and the developments consisting of more than 400 low-cost homes built as a contrast to the original plan – Restelo served a “new generation of architects” as a testing ground or laboratory for experimentation with Modernist-inspired single-family and collective houses.