Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Duarte Belo
© Duarte Belo
© Duarte Belo

Portuguese National Library

  • Original Authors:
  • Porfírio Pardal Monteiro
  • (1969)

The Portuguese National Library houses, protects and makes available all the knowledge produced in Portugal since 1796, the year the Royal Public Library was founded. Located to the west of Campo Grande garden since 1969, a move made necessary by the lack of space for expansion on the site of the Convent of St. Francis, its previous home. Facing one of Lisbon’s main arterial roads in the University Campus, the library provides an important national services. The building was designed by Porfírio Pardal Monteiro, revealing a high degree of modernity for the period. Altogether it covers floor space of some 60,000 square metres and features a 13-storey Book Deposit tower in reinforced concrete that uses pneumatic equipment and “book lifts” to deliver books to those that request them. The deposit tower was extended and remodelled between 2008 and 2012. The outstanding features of the library are its functionality, which is still current today, its scale and the lighting in its interior spaces, as well as the interior design of the main public areas by Daciano da Costa. The visit includes not only the public spaces but also, and indeed above all, the rarely seen spaces such as the storage rooms and conservation area.

Address
Campo Grande, 83
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 701, 736, 783, 798
Subway: Entrecampos

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation