Casa da Moeda/Portuguese Mint
- Original Authors:
One of the great representative works of the Estado Novo regime, and still in use today, the Portuguese Mint building is located along one of the Paris-inspired new avenues, occupying a whole block without any concessions in terms of architectural consistency. It consists of two programmatically separate volumes: the offices and the workshops, with interior connections between the two. The construction was decided on in the early phase of the Estado Novo when Duarte Pacheco was Minister of Public Works, with construction work beginning in 1941. The building is an example of the architecture of Jorge Segurado in which experimentation with the Modernist lexicon was extended into the smallest detail. What stands out in particular to visitors to the building is the rhythmic effect of the sequence of pilasters, the exterior cladding in beautiful green azulejo tiles and the detailed main entrance. It was listed as a Monument of Public Interest in 2012.
Avenida António José de Almeida, 42
Bus: 720, 742, 767
Photography not allowed