- Original Authors:
Located on the ground floor of the former Condes de Povolide Palace, Solmar was inaugurated in 1956, contributing to the architectonic, social and cultural interest of Rua das Portas de Santo Antão. Originally thought as a wide, fresh and luminous space, manifestly elegant, it reflects modernity’s own vocabulary. The high ceiling is partially surrounded by a gallery structured by four visible columns, where a lake configures its centrality. The interior is organized into three distinct areas: café, beer bar and restaurant. With varied geometry, textures and light gimmicks, one must highlight the polychrome spectrum of the stones used and, especially, the furniture — still original — designed by José Espinho. A large aquarium and a tile panel — the latter, by Pedro Jorge Pinto — suggest marine motifs, contributing to the space’s uniqueness. A remarkable example of a project of interior architecture and decoration made from the ground up and representative of the new taste of the 1950s, it remains a living memory of modernity’s boulevard spirit. Cervejaria Solmar has been classified as a place of public interest, a status that intends to safeguard the preservation of its architecture, artistic legacy and identity. It is currently closed to the public.
Photography not allowed