Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Pedro Sadio
© SCML
© Pedro Sadio

Santos-o-Novo Convent

  • Original Authors:
  • Baltasar Alves ,
  • Mateus do Couto
  • (1606, 1617)

This convent is located at the same place where, in 1470, King John II had built a monastery. The building we know today was constructed during the reign of Philip II for the commanders of the Order of Santiago. Built under the principles of mannerism and the baroque, the convent was partially destroyed in the 1755 earthquake, subsequently being the target of restoration work. Around a grandiose square cloister, arcades of round arches transition into the chapels. On the inside, one should pay attention to the tile panels and the decorative elements made of marble and gilded woodwork that characterise the church’s single nave. The convent loses its purpose as a place of worship after the religious order is extinct and, in 1910, gains a new use when it gives shelter to a primary school and, later on, to the Sidónio Pais Institute. It is currently under the management of a charitable institution (Misericórdia de Lisboa), though preserving the area of the convent, the cloister, the church and the remaining adjacent spaces.

Address
Calçada Cruz da Pedra, 44
Get Directions

Typology
Palaces and Convents

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation