LU.CA – Luís de Camões Theatre
- (2018 reabilitação)
The auditorium that has now been restored dates from the 18th century (1737) when the building served as the Opera House to King João V before the São Carlos Theatre was built. Located in a street that flanks the Belém Palace on one side, the Luís de Camões Theatre was originally designed to a small scale, that of a private theatre. An example of Neo-Classical design, it became the Luís de Camões Theatre in 1880 (to mark the 300 centenary of the poet’s death). Over the last century it has served as headquarters of the Belém Club, a cultural group. LU.CA has now reopened in all its glory as a “place for children, youths and for the arts”, integrating the design of the building itself into its own programming and accepting the challenge of acknowledging artistic diversity in its own operations. On Open House visits, the public is invited to get to know Lisbon’s most recent theatre, and gains insight into the inner workings of everything that one normally only sees from the outside.
Calçada da Ajuda, 80
Bus: 15E, 714, 727, 728, 729, 751