MUNHAC – Museu Nacional de História Natural e Ciência
- Original Authors:
- Pierre-Joseph Pezerat
This building was constructed for the Polytechnic School of Lisbon between 1957 and 1878, and, from 1911 onwards, it was occupied by the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon, until a fire happened in 1978. The building’s authorship was attributed to French architect Pierre-Joseph Pézerat, displaying an unmistakable Neoclassical style. It was erected over the ruins of a building destroyed by fire in 1843, where there had previously been sheltered the Novitiate of Cotovia and the College of Noblemen. Currently, it hosts the museums of the University of Lisbon and the National Museum of Natural History, since its merger, in 2011. Also part of the ensemble of MUHNAC, based in Príncipe Real, is the Botanical Garden, the Chemistry Laboratory, the Herbarium and the Riding Arena of the College of Noblemen. It was classified as Building of Public Interest in 2013.
Photography not allowed