Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Francisco Nogueira
© José Frade

Museu da Marioneta

  • Original Authors:
  • Vários autores
  • (Séc. XVII)

  • Interventions:
  • João de Almeida
  • (2000)

The old Bernardas convent is a building of indisputable historical and architectural value, in which we can highlight its cloister that forms an irregular square. Founded in 1653 and rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755, the convent was occupied by nuns up until the dissolution of the religious orders in Portugal. It has served as a school, a polytechnic college, a cinema and theatre, and the headquarters of a philharmonic band. Today, after renovation carried out by its owner, Lisbon City Council, it is home to the Puppet Museum, a restaurant, housing and local community groups, and plays a central role in the life of the Madragoa neighbourhood.

Address
Rua da Esperança, 146
Get Directions

Typology
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation