Museu do Aljube – Resistance and Freedom
- (2015 reabilitação)
The Aljube Museum dedicated to Resistance and Freedom occupies a classical former bishop’s palace that became a prison in the 17th century. It housed prisoners from the ecclesiastic sphere up until 1820, women convicted of common crimes up until the late 1920s and political prisoners of the Estado Novo regime from 1928 to when it was closed in 1965. Located on the Castle hill close to Lisbon cathedral where the Pombaline grid meets the older urban fabric, the Aljube Museum of Resistance and Freedom tells the story of the Portuguese dictatorial regime that was ended by the Revolution of 25 April 1974. It pays homage to those who fought for freedom and shows the repressive and controlling mechanisms used by the regime. The renovation and conversion project carried out in 2015 re-establishes the various layers of use of the building, from the Roman period, and introduces a contemporary reading and experiences.
Rua de Augusto Rosa, 42
Bus: 28E, 737
Subway: Baixa-Chiado, Terreiro do Paço