Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Arquivo Casa do Alentejo
© Arquivo Casa do Alentejo

Alverca Palace - Casa do Alentejo

  • Original Authors:
  • António da Silva Júnior
  • (1918)

Residential architecture, mannerist and revivalist, it was built in the late 17th century. From its former history, it adopted the name of Paes do Amaral Palace or Alverca Palace. It is part of the typology of urban palaces with a square plan and a central patio, featuring, on the outside, the usual social division of the space. The façade is characterized by sobriety and linearity, with a strong sense of horizontality, determined by regular openings. The discipline of the façades contrasts with the exuberance of the romantic interior developing around the central patio. In the early 20th century, the old palace was the city’s first casino, the Magestic Club, withstanding deep changes that defined the building we know today. Inside, one should point out the baroque tile panels inspired in engravings, as well as the mainly romantic atmosphere, a consequence of the revivalist decoration carried out in the second decade of the 20th century. Later on, it was rented to Grémio Alentejano and it is currently the headquarters of Associação Regionalista Alentejana, bearing the name “Casa do Alentejo” (House of Alentejo).

Address
Rua das Portas de Santo Antão, 58
Get Directions

Typology
Palaces and Convents, Commerce and Services

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation