Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Museu da Água – EPAL

Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras Water Cistern

  • Original Authors:
  • Carlos Mardel ,
  • Reinaldo Manuel dos Santos
  • (1748, 1834)

First proposed in 1746 and completed in 1834, the Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras water cistern collected and distributed the water brought into the city via the Aqueduto das Águas Livres. With a capacity of 5,500 cubic metres, it is 7.5 metres deep. The space features vaulted ceilings of great beauty, and a terrace on the roof affords magnificent views over Lisbon. Completed after the death of Carlos Mardel, it is a veritable “cathedral to water” that goes much further than serving its original function – it is one of the city’s most emblematic historic monuments.

Address
Praça das Amoreiras, 10
Get Directions

Typology
Infra-estruturas

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation