OH Lisboa 2019: Volunteers
1. AboutOpen House is big architecture event whose objective is to present the architecture of a city so that everyone can discover it, experience it and explore it. An educational event that reveals the advantages and value of a well-designed built environment.
For the eight edition, we are looking for people over 16 years old, with team spirit and an interest in the history of the city, or simply curious individuals — they don't need to be connected to the fields of architecture, urban planning or design. We hope we can count on you at a weekend that is this important to the discovery of Lisbon's architecture, encompassing relevant examples, though some obscure and unexplored. We want to find temporary tenants (volunteers) for our housing blocks, single-family houses, churches, warehouses, factories, schools, theatres — among other typologies — during the weekend of 21 and 22 September. During these two days, they will be pleased to receive our occasional guests (visitors). This year, commissioner Patrícia Robalo suggests unique visits, off the beaten track.
In order to organise this event, the Triennale counts, every year, on the help of a large family of hundreds of volunteers that are, to a large extent, crucial to the memorable fruition of each visitor. Based on the experience and skills of each volunteer, there is (literally) room for all those who can help, whether as coordinators and tutors, logistics agents, assistants for the junior and accessible tours, among other roles — find out more in the application form.
Besides being able to adapt your participation to your profile and aspirations, you will have the opportunity to meet architects, authors and other specialists. You will also be part of a celebratory and convivial atmosphere, in which you can make new friends that also share your interests.
Open House Lisboa had its first edition back in 2012 and is part of the larger Open House Worldwide family, which gathers the various member cities of the event originally created in London, in 1992, by Victoria Thornton. 45 cities from all continents have joined the British capital, representing roughly 2 million visitors per year.
2. How it works
Open House Lisboa offers an experience organized towards the guidance of and assistance to the visitor, with:
- Open visits;
- Visits by Volunteers;
- Visits by Experts.
As complement and in order to make the programme more inclusive and captivating, we also have a set of parallel initiatives:
- Accessibility Programme: for blind, low vision, deaf people or with intellectual disabilities;
- Junior Programme: activities for families;
- Plus Programme: events with talks, performances, exhibitions, that happen in the various spaces.
- Over 16 years old
- Portuguese speaking
- Cordial, cooperative, patient, communicative, punctual and to enjoy team work
- Curious to discover and show architecture
- Minimum commitment: a 4-hour shift, during the weekend
- To be available for an interview (for new volunteers only)
- To be available to participate in pre-visits to the spaces
- To be available to attend a presentation (+/- 1.5h)
4. Which tasks?
- Welcoming and informing the public
- Managing groups and people that are waiting for their turn
- Offer support to specialists and people responsible for the spaces
- Be a guide to short visits
5. What do we offer?
- An experience in an international event about architecture and the city
- General and specific training through preview visits to the spaces, study materials, and dialogue with specialists and architects
- Participation in exclusive, first-hand visits
- Share and cherish privileged knowledge
- Afternoon snacks on the OH Lisboa days
- Invitation for the closing party
- Participation certificate mentioning performed duties
- Personal accident insurance policy, in accordance with current legislation
6. DatesApplication Deadline: Sunday, 18 August
Interviews to new volunteers: from 25 June to 21 August
Preliminary Guided Tours: Mid-August and September
Presentation: Wednesday, 18 September
Open House Lisboa 2019: weekend of 21 and 22 September
You can find the application form here.
Tell your friends! It'll be even better if they join you.
To whom shall I send my queries?
Feel free to send all your doubts to email@example.com