OH Lisboa: Call for Volunteers
1. AboutOpen House is a major annual event that presents the city architecture to anyone who wants to experience and explore it. The basis of this event is to disclose spaces normally closed to the public, through free visits involving authors or specialists from different areas. This 11th edition, following last year’s, covers both banks of the Tagus river, between Lisbon and Almada.
On the weekend of May 14-15, Open House Lisboa 2022 presents a programme designed by the Lisbon-based studio Aurora Arquitectos, with visits to spaces that show the duality of the differently paced exterior-interior urban transformation, as well as a set of urban itineraries and sound walks through the city.
The programme consists of three types of visits to the Spaces: unguided free visits, visits guided by volunteers and visits guided by specialists. Alongside a series of Urban Routes (PU), it also includes the Junior (activities for families), Accessible (adapted visits) and Plus (multi-format events) programmes.
To organise Open House Lisboa, the Triennale has a large volunteer family that informs and guides visitors on visits and routes, and gives programme suggestions. This participation of civil society is crucial for visitors to fully enjoy the event. That's why we're looking for people with a team spirit who like architecture, urbanism and the city's history to join us for a weekend of discovery and celebration.
2. How It Works
The two days of the weekend are divided into shifts (morning, afternoon and evening) lasting approximately four and a half hours each. The volunteer team is distributed in each shift, in groups of two to four members for each space or route.
The territory covered by the event is divided into geographical areas with their own teams, each responsible for about ten spaces and two routes.
To make sure the volunteers do not feel unaccompanied, each group is coordinated by a Team Leader who is the link between the volunteers and the Triennale team. They also have the help of a Tutor, who provides the volunteer team training, and a Logistics Support.
3. ElegibilityAny interested person can become a volunteer. It is not necessary to be connected to architecture, urbanism or design. What are the qualities we most appreciate then? Being curious and open to sharing culture!
These are the requirements:
- Over 16 years old
- Fluent Portuguese speaker
- Attentive, friendly, patient, communicative, and punctual
You must be available to:
- Attend an interview (only for first-time participants)
- Participate in preparatory visits
- Participate in the training lesson (approximately 1h30m) - where volunteer kits will be handed out
- Fulfil at least a 4h30m shift (approximately) during the weekend
4. Tasks to Perform
There is room for everyone and different roles, depending on each one's experience and skills:
- Welcome, reception, public information and visitor management
- Guidance on procedures for visits to spaces and/or carrying out urban routes (PU)
- Guided visits to spaces and support to experts
- Monitoring of Junior and Accessible programmes
- Logistical support during the weekend and/or in the days before and after the event
Note: These tasks may be revised if changes to the programme need to be made due to the evolution of the pandemic and the guidelines of the authorities.
5. What we offer
This is an opportunity to participate in an international event about architecture and the city, and enjoy privileged knowledge, with general and specific training. It is an experience where we have already counted on hundreds of people, who have lived the OHL from the inside and have always left us warm feedback. With each Open House, there is a growing and long-lasting sense of community and belonging.
- Closing thank-you party for the volunteer team
- Snacks each day
- Allowances (€3.50 voucher for each shift)
- Personal accident insurance policy, under the terms of the legislation
- Participation certificate, mentioning the tasks performed
6. DatesInterviews: February to April
- Deadline for registration: April 22
- Pre-visits: April 23 to May 8
- Training lesson: week before the event, after working hours (to be defined)
- Open House Lisboa weekend: May 14-15
7. FormTo apply, simply fill out this form.