Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Camarim
© Camarim
© Camarim

House in Campo de Ourique

  • Original Authors:
  • Camarim Arquitectos
  • (2021)

Not available in this edition

This building has a peculiar urban condition because it is flanked by the Machado de Castro Industrial School (now the Lisbon Hotel and Tourism School) on its left, and a cemetery on its right. The school retreats from the street, gaining monumentality and institutional dignity. The English Cemetery is a green, dense and enigmatic place. Between one and the other, a modest house from the beginning of the 20th century assumed an unwanted prominence, and the Lisbon City Council intended its demolition in 1942 to align the street with the school entrance. This plan did not go forward and the building remained, with its meticulous main facade, two blind gables, and another lateral facade. The restoration project sought to respond to the widening of the Rua Saraiva de Carvalho and to the silent forest, the view of the garden, the Tagus and Arrábida. The renovation of this building aimed to create a nexus and a continuous flow around and throughout the house.

Address
Rua Saraiva de Carvalho, 43
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 709, 713, 720, 727, 738
Subway: Rato

Typology
Housing

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation