LNEC – National Civil Engineering Laboratory
- Original Authors:
- Vários autores
Opened in 1952, the LNEC campus covers an area of 22 hectares, from Avenida do Brasil to Lisbon’s 2nd Ring Road. The Arantes e Oliveira Building (1952) was designed by Pardal Monteiro, and features austere monumentalism with a modern technological approach based on concrete and brickwork. The Calouste Gulbenkian Building (1962) was designed by Januário Godinho and João Andersen and consists of 3 volumes that interact strongly with each other and their surroundings. The Social Centre Building (1966), also designed by Godinho and Andersen, offers accommodation for foreign researchers and a canteen. The Manuel Rocha Building (1972), by Manuel Norberto Corrêa and José Gabriel Pinto Coelho, houses congresses, meetings and exhibitions; its interior design features furniture by Daciano da Costa. The gardens, designed by Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles and Fernão Vaz Pinto, and the whole building complex retain, to a large extent, their original features. The LNEC campus was listed as a Monument of Public Interest in 2012.
Av. do Brasil, 101
Bus: 717, 731, 750, 783