Main Seminary of São Paulo de Almada
- Original Authors:
- Ordem dos Pregadores
- Rodrigo Franco
Overlooking the Tagus River, this seminary works in a former Dominican convent. The monastery’s large single-aisle church, covered by a cradle vault, was a victim of the 1755 earthquake and was rebuilt, retaining the altarpiece of the chancel and the two side altars. On the contrary, the sacristy, with a groin vault ceiling and Renaissance tiles, got through the earthquake. Later, in 1834, when the religious orders were extinct, the monastery and the exterior area were sold at a public auction. In 1934, the Church recovered its possession, beginning the works to install the seminary. A relevant collection of tiles was transferred there, including panels taken from the aisle of Sé de Lisboa and Brutesco style decorative compositions, placed in the study rooms and the Convent Library. As for the patio and dining room, four 17th-century panels with passages from the Story of Tobias, attributed to Gabriel del Barco, were installed there.
Rua D. Álvaro Abranches da Câmara, 1, Almada