Convento dos Capuchos
- Original Authors:
- Várias autorias
- João Lucas
This building stands at an amazing geographical position, on the edge of the Fossil Cliff, and has a privileged view over Costa de Caparica, Lisboa, Serra de Sintra, Cabo Espichel, Torre de São Julião, Bugio, and the Cascais bay. The former Franciscan friars’ convent dates back to 1558 and consists of a church and a convent area organised around a cloister. The architecture is simple and unpretentious, the white planes contrasting with the blue of the tile panels and the embellishments made of shell and whelk embrechados. Currently, Convento dos Capuchos works as a space dedicated to music and as a reception room of the Almada municipality. The City Council organises various cultural events there and has created two galleries for exhibitions. One of them permanently displays a presentation of the place’s history, Convento dos Capuchos, life, memory, identity.
Rua Miradouro dos Capuchos, Almada
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities