Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
acesso principal ao museu ladeado por ruínas das arcadas de pedra branca em que se perdeu a cobertura
© Jose Morais Arnaud
parede imponente construída de pedra com janela de dupla folha
© Jose Morais Arnaud
estrutura de arcos de suporte da cobertura
© Jose Morais Arnaud

Museu Arqueológico do Carmo

  • Original Authors:
  • Várias autorias
  • (1389)

  • Interventions:
  • Associação dos Arqueólogos Portugueses
  • (1864 reabilitação)

The ruins of Carmo Church, part of the convent founded by Nuno Álvares Pereira, where he would become a monk near the end of his life, are one of the symbols of Lisbon and the most visible trace of the 1755 earthquake. Several reconstruction strategies were partially executed and interrupted by the extinction of the religious orders. More than a conscious decision, inactivity ended up freezing a mixture of ruins, construction, and buildings. This suspended state was valued in the Romantic period, contributing to the decision not to carry out large-scale interventions as in other monuments. In 1864, the first archaeological museum in Portugal was established there, founded by the Association of Archaeologists. The collection, with a very diversified assortment, covers prehistory to the present day chronologically.

#Ruin #Building

Largo do Carmo
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 28E
Subway: Baixa-Chiado

Civic Facilities

Photography allowed

Loading Animation