Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© Arlindo Homem
© Arlindo Homem

Ajuda National Palace

  • Original Authors:
  • Manuel Caetano de Sousa ,
  • José da Costa e Silva ,
  • Francisco Xavier Fabri
  • (Séc. XIX)

Erected after the fire that destroyed Paço de Nossa Senhora da Ajuda in 1794 – the former Royal Barracks built in wood after the 1755 earthquake – the intermittent construction of just one third of the plan was marked by the decline of the Portuguese monarchy. The initial project of 1795, in baroque style, was adapted in 1802 to neoclassical principles by the author of Teatro São Carlos. The occupation by the royal family in the 19th century and its closing at the dawn of the republican regime brought to us much of what was the royal family’s home. It has been a museum since 1940, initially with restricted visits. It was only fully opened to the public in 1968. The tour reveals the inner workings of the Royal Table and the organisation of domestic life at the Portuguese court. The kitchens, pantries, storerooms and other service areas, which are usually inaccessible to the public, offer insight into daily life at the palace, from meal preparation to service, and highlight the roles of the teams who ensured daily operations, including cooks, servants and silver boys.

Address
Largo da Ajuda
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 18E, 742, 760

Typology
Palaces and Convents, Civic Facilities

Accessibility
Partial

Photos
Photography allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation