Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© José Semedo
© José Semedo

Alfeite Arsenal

  • Original Authors:
  • Arsenal do Alfeite ,
  • S.A.
  • (1939)

Named after the old farm of the same name, Arsenal do Alfeite stands on an embankment platform facing Mar da Palha. Its construction began in 1928, financed by First World War reparations, and was formally inaugurated in 1939. As part of Lisbon’s naval base, the dockyard meets the needs for naval construction, maintenance, and repair of the Portuguese Navy, other NATO navies, and commercial navies, using advanced technology in the electronics, optoelectronics, weaponry, mechanics, and electrical engineering fields. It comprises a 138-metre-long dry dock, a floating dock, three inclined planes, a berth, two mooring bridges, and 80,000 m2 of built area. In 2009, the shipyard was converted to a limited company of exclusively public capital, thus ceasing to depend on the Portuguese Navy, currently its main client.

Base Naval de Lisboa, Alfeite
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 103, 108, 114, 120, 123, 149, 755


Photography allowed

Loading Animation