Jump to main content
Trienal de Arquitectura de Lisboa
© INCM
© INCM

Imprensa Nacional (Official Printing Office)

  • Original Authors:
  • Domingos Parente da Silva
  • (1913)

Not available in this edition

This building was built on the site of the former Soares e Noronha mansion and then converted in 1769 to house the Royal Printing Office, which later became the Official Printing Office of the Portuguese Republic. The preference for this 16th-century mansion house derived from its size and structure that suited the new function, and the fact that it was situated in an area that was least affected by the 1755 earthquake. With its three rectangular volumes connected to form a “U”, the vast property extended to Largo do Rato. In 1895, the old building, by now considered inadequate for printing factory needs, began to be demolished and make way for the current building. That work was completed in 1913, although the original design underwent some changes by the engineers Vítor Gomes Encarnação, Veiga da Cunha and António Luís Ramos. The building now consists of four large volumes interconnected with staircases, covered walkways and galleries, whereby the two central volumes are linked by the annex that was added between them. The main façade features large windows and a portal topped by a rounded pediment, a nod to Pombaline architecture.

Address
Rua da Escola Politécnica, 135
Get Directions

Public Transportation
Bus: 720, 727, 738, 758, 773
Subway: Rato

Typology
Civic Facilities

Photos
Photography not allowed

Favoritos
Loading Animation