- Original Authors:
- (séc. XVIII)
Not available in this edition
The Alfeite Palace faces the Tagus River and is located at the Lisbon Naval Base, an extensive military area between the municipalities of Almada and Seixal. From 1690 onwards, this palace remained the place of choice for the Casa do Infantado. The Portuguese idiomatic expression estar nas sete quintas [literally, “being at the seven farms”, meaning “feeling very happy”] derives from the seven farms that composed the property of the Real Sítio do Alfeite: Piedade, Outeiro, Romeira, Alfeite, Quintinha, Antelmo and Bomba. After the 1755 earthquake, D. Pedro commissioned the construction of the Alfeite Real Palace. The building was completed in 1758, but underwent significant improvements in 1858. To the east of the palace, and occupying a vast part of the valley, there is a garden with arboreal specimens of great botanical interest. It was probably designed by Jean-Baptiste Bonnard, who planned the gardens at the Tapada das Necessidades and Estrela. He also planned the water collection, conduction and irrigation systems for the palace and the farmland. This property is currently occupied by the Lisbon Naval Command.
This visit starts at the Naval School and its booking must be made through the space “Naval School”
Base Naval de Lisboa, Alfeite
Bus: 103, 108, 114, 120, 123, 149, 755
Palaces and Convents, Militar